To date, the Java platform has attracted more than 9 million software developers. It’s used in every major industry segment and has a presence in a wide range of devices, computers, and networks.
Java technology’s versatility, efficiency, platform portability, and security make it the ideal technology for network computing. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!
- 1.1 billion desktops run Java
- 930 million Java Runtime Environment downloads each year
- 3 billion mobile phones run Java
- 31 times more Java phones ship every year than Apple and Android combined
- 100% of all Blu-ray players run Java
- 1.4 billion Java Cards are manufactured each year
- Java powers set-top boxes, printers, Web cams, games, car navigation systems, lottery terminals, medical devices, parking payment stations, and more.
Why Software Developers Choose Java
Java has been tested, refined, extended, and proven by a dedicated community. More than 9 million Java developers makes it the largest and most active development community on the planet. With its versatilty, efficiency, and portability, Java has become invaluable to developers by enabling them to:
- Write software on one platform and run it on virtually any other platform
- Create programs that can run within a web browser and access available web services
- Develop server-side applications for online forums, stores, polls, HTML forms processing, and more
- Combine applications or services using the Java language to create highly customized applications or services
- Write powerful and efficient applications for mobile phones, remote processors, low-cost consumer products, and practically any other device with a digital heartbeat
Why do I need Java?
There are lots of applications and websites that won’t work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!
More Technical Information
Originally called OAK, it was renamed as the Java programming language in 1995.
What will I get when I download Java software?
The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is what you get when you download Java software. The JRE consists of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), Java platform core classes, and supporting Java platform libraries. The JRE is the runtime portion of Java software, which is all you need to run it in your Web browser. When you download Java software, you only get what you need – no spyware, and no viruses.
What is Java Plug-in software?
The Java Plug-in software is a component of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The JRE allows applets written in the Java programming language to run inside various browsers. The Java Plug-in software is not a standalone program and cannot be installed separately.
I’ve heard the terms Java Virtual Machine and JVM. Is this Java software?
The Java Virtual Machine is only one aspect of Java software that is involved in web interaction. The Java Virtual Machine is built right into your Java software download, and helps run Java applications.
- How to manage the Java 6 and Java 7 runtimes in OS X (reviews.cnet.com)
- JavaOne 2012: Mastering Java Deployment (javacodegeeks.com)
- JavaOne 2012: Mastering Java Deployment (java.dzone.com)